Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two Weeks In

by Jimmy

And now for today's post...

Becky has not been feeling well last week. Though Monday she started feeling much better. It is so nice to have my wife back. I have a picture of her not feeling well, but will refrain from posting that. She wasn't thrilled that I took it in the first place, but told her I had to since her dad told me to be taking lots of pictures.
Since she was feeling better, and having seen just Port-Au-Prince, which was accurately described to us as the "concrete jungle", we decided to take the opportunity to visit the beach with new friends. We were very excited the morning of.
Our property is very beautiful, surrounded by trees, and we even have grass in our front yard. Outside the front gate however, the trash trucks dump trash on our sidewalk, it is noisy, dirty, crowded, and sometimes quite smelly. Most people tell us not to judge Haiti by the capital.
So off we head to our Caribbean island getaway.
As you can probably tell from the pictures, it was a rough day. $35 each for a day at the beach including a buffet. The water was crystal clear, literally smooth as glass when we got there. Perfect temperature. All I could say was "Wow" and shake my head in amazement, all day long. I have always dreamed of sitting under a palm tree on a tropical beach, and here I was. Dream come true.
Incredible opportunity to take a day away before starting school this coming Monday.
We had to go, and Becky had me take a few more pictures.
So I did. And turned around to find her...
...sipping quickly on my melting chocolate shake. I am sure she just did not want it wasted.

Tonight we decided to go out for the first time in Haiti. There is a fast food, by Haitian standards, restaurant just down the road, and getting a little tired of either cooking or heating leftovers, we decided to go on a date. Motorcycle date of course. I recommended we dress up for the date as we both had on shorts and T-shirts. We, as Americans, are quite underdressed whenever we go out anywhere, even to church. Just about everybody on the street is immaculately dressed. We dressed up, meaning we changed shorts for pants, and felt a little better, though we really were the most underdressed people in the restaurant.


Can't say the food was the best, but it was out, and we had a good time, and good conversation waiting for our not-so-fast food.

Things are coming along with the school. We are all really excited about starting. More to come on that later, I am sure.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better Becky! How amazing to have such a beautiful retreat close by. Take advantage of it! The dressing up thing is present over here too. T shirts are basically considered pajamas! After 2 1/2 years, my closet looks significantly different than it used to. Accessories, scarves, fabrics other than just cotton. I'm actually enjoying it now. Have fun with it! Have a great start to the school year. The school room looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete